Sunday, August 21, 2011

Don't You Want to Know?

That's another question I get a lot.  I was adopted as an eight-week-old baby.  People want to know about my biological parents and then they want to know why I never looked for them or information about them.  "Don't you want to know?"  "Not really, no."  "Why not?  "Well...why?"

People magazine, a celebrity gossip and entertainment news mag,  used to, when I was growing up, do a fairly regular feature article, maybe once a year or so, for no apparent reason, on adopted kids.  The articles were always blatantly biased in favor of biological families.  The adopted children interviewed were always ones in extreme circumstances, abusive relationships, various and sundry trauma.  They would describe feeling a disconnect from their adoptive parents and would go on some quest to find their "real" parents.  These articles never included interviews with the MANY adopted children who grew up in happy homes feeling a true and deep connection to their parents, or even the many children who grew up in unhappy biological-family homes and felt no connection to their biological parents.

The nuclear family is a relatively, in human history, recent societal construct, but boy we sure do romanticize it, market and protect it, don't we?

I grew up in a nuclear family, but it was one created by my parents and marriage and adoption.  I was eight weeks old when it came together.  I never knew any other family.

My mother created a warm and wonderful home.  Kids from the neighborhood wanted to come to my house after school.  She greeted me with home-baked after-school snacks and a genuine interest in my day and the most marvelous stories, some from the history of her country (England) and some just totally made up and full of fantasy.  She sat up with me when I was sick, she applauded at my school plays, she helped me make Halloween costumes, she shopped for back-to-school clothes and prom dresses with me and thought I was beautiful.  She took me to Australia when I turned 18 and to Italy when I turned 30.

My father did hokey magic tricks for me and the neighborhood kids.  He bought me a science kit and went on nature walks with me and pointed out plants and rocks and winds and the sun and stars.  He swam in the pool with me and horsed around and threw catch and later taught me to play golf.  One Halloween I was wearing a full leg cast, which had not been anticipated, as such things usually aren't, so the situation made wearing my planned Halloween costume impossible.  My parents jury-rigged a last minute costume out of stuff around the house.  I couldn't walk from house to house to trick-or-treat, so my Dad carried me, cast-and-all, to each door so I wouldn't miss out on my favorite holiday.

People would ask me if I knew where my "real" parents were.  My answer was always, "yes."

14 comments:

  1. Saw this recently. Courageous of those to g an visit their Dad even knowing that he is a somewhat eccentric hippie living in a RV on Venice Beach.
    Though some of the mothers aren't quite ready to welcome him into the family or have him over for Thanksgiving turkey.

    http://www.cbc.ca/documentaries/passionateeyeshowcase/2011/spermtrade/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Extremely illuminating.

    Pep (awaits Chapter Two.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure what prompted your post but "yeah." Biology isn't necessarily the definitive term for family (any more than the male-female tradition is). How many times I longed to be you! (Adopted!) Just because two people had sex that "took" doesn't automatically make them parents. Your real folks sound grand. My family isn't related to me by blood either, by my choice. People should mind their own damned business; the world would be a much better place. Meh.

    The question **I** get all the time is, "Aren't you sad you never had kids?" No. It was a conscious choice and I thank the god I don't believe in regularly for me having the insight to make that choice and not caving in to normal, societal programming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice Post lee.

    Bottom Line...you are lucky you had a good family.
    DNA has got fuck all to with it...but Luck plays a huge part.

    Oh and yeah part 2 please.

    I love your autobiographical stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Lee: Very nice post. Brings back good memories.

    @L=Dead Seicher: Your family is not related to you by blood by your own choice...That is too fucking funny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Ima. I know you are stupid but try to grasp the subject of the OP. Lee was commenting that her adoptive parents — her family not of blood but by THEIR choice — IS her real family, much more than any biological parent would be. Since they are her real family she sees no reason to seek out blood relatives who are not her family. Are you saying you think that her story is too fucking funny? Because, you see, I said my REAL family is like Lee's except that it is not via official adoption

    My immediate biological family, both sisters, both parents, all grand parents, are dead. I know that will be funny to you, too.I know how you like a dead sibling or parental joke.

    However, even if they were alive I would not, and did not after the age of 30, consider them to be my family, even though they were related by blood. It was an alcoholic, abusive family and I wanted no part of it. Laugh riot!

    My true family are the loved ones that are closer than any one related to me by blood. My choice. Concept.

    You really do live in a narrow little world with no clue, let alone understanding, of anything beyond your nose.

    L is not an avatar and does not equal an avatar living or dead. That was mentioned to give someone a heads up as a courtesy (something I know you are not familiar with either).

    ReplyDelete
  7. @L=Dead Seicher:

    "Because, you see, I said my REAL family is like Lee's except that it is not via official adoption"

    No, you said:

    My family isn't related to me by blood either, by my choice.

    Which sounds more like you made the choice to genetically disown yourself from your biological family.

    I don't need you to explain the concept of adoption to me. My brother and I were adopted at 1.5 years old and raised by our adoptive father and bio mom. My bio dad died shortly after we were born. Wasn't that in the chat logs? Or was that on my blog? Does not matter, it wasn't about you so I'm sure you skipped right over it.

    I would never make fun of anyone's deceased family members. They do not belong in my arguments. I don't find it amusing. I suppose since you hated your family so, that is not something you can wrap your mind around.

    Yes, I use L=Dead Seicher as a courtsey to all the new comers to Lee's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. *sigh*

    And it was such a lovely little post.

    LOL

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ima, you need a hobby or something.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely post, Lee. Gibran comes to mind:

    And a woman who held a babe against her bosom said, "Speak to us of Children."

    And he said:

    Your children are not your children.

    They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.

    They come through you but not from you,

    And though they are with you, yet they belong not to you.

    You may give them your love but not your thoughts.

    For they have their own thoughts.

    You may house their bodies but not their souls,

    For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.

    You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you.

    For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.

    You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth.

    The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite, and He bends you with His might that His arrows may go swift and far.

    Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;

    For even as he loves the arrow that flies, so He loves also the bow that is stable.

    ReplyDelete