Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Dissecting the Croak, Part II

Four Theorists Deconstruct a Joke

I will number each sentence or unit of meaning in the following joke so it will be easy to identify it in the discussion to follow.

The Tan

1.  A man goes to Miami for a vacation.
2.  After a few days there he looks in a mirror and notices he has a beautiful tan all over his body, with the exception of his penis.
3.  He decides to remedy the situation, and have a perfect tan all over his body.  So the next morning he gets up early, goes to a deserted section of the beach, undresses, and starts putting sand over his body until only his penis remains exposed to the sun.
4.  A couple of little old ladies happen to walk by shortly after the man has finished shoveling sand all over himself.
5.  One notices the penis sticking out of the sand.  She points it out to her friend.
6.  "When I was twenty, I was scared to death of them."
7.  "When I was forty, I couldn't get enough of them."
8.  "When I was sixty, I couldn't get one to come near me."
9.  "And now they're growing wild on the beach!"

So why is this amusing?

Superiority theorists:  We feel superior to various characters in this story.  The punch line (#9) can be taken as a revelation of ignorance.  And the segments preceding it reveal a good deal about her sexuality and frustration.

Incongruity theorists:  The fundamental absurdity of a penis sticking out of the sand instead of being between a man's legs, where it belongs (in the first place) and of a person thinking that penises can grow wild on the beach, like wildflowers (in the second place) is the source of the humor.  One expects penises to behave and to stay shielded from public scrutiny.  The punch line (#9) reveals the incongruity.

Psychoanalytic critics:  The humor generated from the joke stems primarily from its sexual content.  The humor is related to sexuality and the matter of sexual development in people and, in particular, to sexual hunger.  The punch line (#9) represents a kind of wish-fulfillment, a sexually paradisiacal state for this woman where penises grow wild on the beach and are thus easily attainable and in as great a quantity as may be desired.  Sexual repression, which Freud postulated as being the price we pay for civilization, is no longer a dominating force.  The man, it could be argued, also has unconscious exhibitionist tendencies.  There may also be a regressive aspect to the woman, who does not seem to know that penises always come attached to men - a means, a good Freudian might argue, of escaping from penis envy.

Cognitive perspective:  The jokes establishes a play frame which is generated by the man's bizarre behavior - his desire to tan every inch of his body.  This play frame allows us to view the crazy notion that penises might grow wild on the beach as humorous, something not to be taken seriously.  The semiotic analysis of this joke shows something else.  The punch line (#9) sets up a paradigmatic opposition which contrasts nature with culture.  It is this set of polar oppositions that gives us an insight into the real meaning of the joke.  Whether people realize this at the conscious level is beside the point.




This entire blog post is an excerpt from the Introduction chapter, pages 5-7, of "An Anatomy of Humor" by Arthur Asa Berger.

Link:
http://books.google.co.in/books?id=aZkRJJnc6BUC&pg=PA57&dq=Davies,+Christie.+Ethnic+Humor&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=0_0#v=onepage&q=Davies%2C%20Christie.%20Ethnic%20Humor&f=false
http://www.amazon.com/Anatomy-Humor-Arthur-Berger/dp/0765804948

22 comments:

  1. A couple things, mostly just stuff that amused me.

    1. Though this is from a serious discussion, I still can't help read it with humor, which I sort of hope the author intended. Four theorists walk into a bar...how many theorists does it take to screw in a light bulb...Four Theorists Deconstruct a Joke, etc.

    2. Funnier than the actual joke, to me, where these lines:

    a. One expects penises to behave and to stay shielded from public scrutiny.
    b. There may also be a regressive aspect to the woman, who does not seem to know that penises always come attached to men.
    c. Whether people realize this at the conscious level is beside the point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excuse me, "were" not "where." Ergh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Next time someone, say Fester for example, posts a penis pic on a forum, I may just use that line in a post.

    "One expects penises to behave and to stay shielded from public scrutiny."

    It sounds sort of Wildean to me out of context.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The humour in the joke derives from the bloke behaving like a dick (almost literally) in juxtaposition with a bunch of (senile, naive, ignorant, politically correct etc) Ladies Who Lunch.

    Pep (wonders if that reminds you of anything?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL

    Make that "FIVE theorists walk into a bar and deconstruct a joke..."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think you are giving the horny old broad enough credit. She didn't cry, complain or ask her friend to back her up or anything. Nothing hyperemotional about showing a little enthusiasm for a potential cock crop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It might be illuminating to speculate on "what happened next" dependent upon the identity of the companion. If it was Elora she might have got out her pruning knife and tried to take a cutting to try out a little home propagation, if it was Scylla she'd have whipped out her mobile phone, taken a photo and blogged about "anonymous stealth rapists" . . .

    Pep ( . . . and if it was you . . . hmmm, I'll leave you to complete that thought.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. If Lee found it on a beach she would give it a test drive, and then write a wall of text blog about it.
    Which would be picked up by Forum Confidential...mentioned in SC ( More attention whoring from the despicable Ms Absent etc etc )...and Lias in gv would go on a 40 page rant about it.

    The story would eventually be picked up by Hollywood...where Alexander Skarsgård would be awarded the role of the dick...after extensive casting couch foray's by Lee.

    When asked to comment on her success...Ms Absent replied..."Well it all started with my blog...its the little people I remember...Like my first ever subscriber...Whats-his-name??...no don't tell me...I know this one."

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Orfeu: Harsh!

    Pep (But fair.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Lee: Ditto your first comment!

    Also, of the original joke, I found the punchline to be a bit...erm...flat.

    @Orfeu: Lol! (I don't personally know of SC or gV but have heard enough to giggle over your remark.)

    @no one in particular: People get paid for doing these things? Writing a book about it? Sigh. Another example of me taking a wrong turn at Albuquerque (in the career dept.). I'll bet there were humongous grants awarded and everything!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did someone say "Alexander Skarsgård"? Rawr.

    Did I mention I'm in my 40s?

    7. "When I was forty, I couldn't get enough of them."

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ Pep: Harsh? The truth doesn't *always* have to hurt, dear man.

    @Orf..what was that name again?: Well-played. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Btw, my sex blog, about which some kind man went to the trouble of going inworld the other day in order to send me a message as he was still waiting for the next post, is here: http://whatleesaid.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. @ Pep...I tend to be harsher with my friends than my enemies.
    @ Lee it is spelled Orfeu..that is O.R.F....oh look...just forgeddaboutit.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You didn't have to select a name that is so impossible for everyone to spell. Doesn't the 'u' come before the 'e' when followed by an 'f'?

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Storm...agreed on the name...pretty fucking stupid...wish I had never chosen it.
    I had been playing a song called "Samba de Orfeu" a lot when I joined SL...so yeah..it is a Portuguese spelling of Orpheus.

    But having chosen the handle and stuck with it..I would be reluctant to change it now.
    The mere appearance of my name now causes an epidemic of eye-rolling in certain circles...followed by..."Oh...that fucking guy..."

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. No real good reason why, but Orfeu just reminded me of a line from "Jurassic Park."

    Hammond: "Look, we'll have landed by the time you get it right."

    ReplyDelete
  18. No-one has written anything original since the Ancient Greeks

    Pep (except me.)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anything original.

    There.

    Ima

    ReplyDelete
  20. /me prefers to be self-referential.

    Pep (does too.)

    PS My captcha for this one was "WHINGE"

    ReplyDelete